UNT will honor its student veterans and other veterans with a full week of events, beginning on Veterans Day Nov. 11. The events are sponsored by UNT Veterans Center, the Veterans National Honor Society and UNT Libraries.
The events include:
- 11 a.m.–noon - A Veterans Day program will be held on the lawn of the Denton Country Courthouse on the Square. The keynote speaker is Denton attorney Forrest Beadle, who works with veterans in the Denton County Veterans Treatment Court. The program is sponsored by representatives from the UNT Veterans Center, Denton County Veterans Service Office and Texas Woman’s University’s Veterans Program Office.
- 7:30 p.m. - The UNT Brass Band honors veterans and their families with "A Veterans Day Salute" in the Murchison Performing Arts Center, Winspear Hall. Regents Professor of Music Brian Bowman will conduct the band in a varied program honoring American veterans, from reflective ballads to patriotic favorites. Tickets are free to veterans and UNT students; $10 for adults; $8 for seniors, other students and UNT faculty/staff/retirees. Order tickets online or call 940-369-7802.
- 5-7 p.m. - UNT’s chapter of SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society will have an induction ceremony for new members in the Gateway Center, Rooms 43 and 44. The honor society is for American active military and student veterans who have earned an undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher, or for graduate students with a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- 4–6 p.m. - The UNT Career Center and the UNT Veterans Center will host a Veterans Employer Panel in Chestnut Hall, Room 120 A/B. Veterans Brian Parks from United States Auto Association and Travis Summers from Farmers Insurance, who currently are working in different civilian positions in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, will focus on job searching and applying military experience to civilian jobs.
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m. - Student Veterans Services Open House in Sage Hall, Room 123. The Student Veterans Services office welcomes veterans to stop by for refreshments and to learn about veterans services on campus.
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m. - A Veterans Fair will be held on the lawn in front of Sage Hall. The fair will have information on veteran-focused organizations on and off campus for students and their family members. Representatives from Denton County Veterans Coalition, Veteran Psychologists, The Military and Veterans Marriage Enrichment Project and Cycle Operators Guild will have booths.
- 6–8 p.m. - UNT Speaks Out on Veterans’ Reentry and Suicide Awareness in the Willis Library, Forum. Guenter Gross, Regents Professor and director of the Center for Network Neuroscience, and two of his former students, David Smith and Jason Gibson, will participate in a round-table discussion about re-entering civilian life from a highly structured military environment. Learn more.