The July 2012 issue of Benchmarks Online is now available. Learn more below or from Claudia Lynch.
Featured articles in Benchmarks Online are:
- Campus Computing News: New IT Governance Planned for University IT Services. It is critical the University of North Texas makes informed decisions about the selection of (and investment in) “common good” information technology services. Generally, a “common good” service benefits a significant number of users across multiple organizational entities. IT governance defines both who makes these decisions as well as the process for making those decisions.
- EDUCAUSE News - We have lots of EDUCAUSE news to share this month. Free webinars - and more - are being offered in an "Analytics 3-Day Sprint" starting July 24; the face-to-face and online conference programs are now available for the 2012 Annual Conference; and you can submit a proposal for the West/Southwest Regional Conference to be held February 12–14, 2013 in Austin, Texas.
- UNT Videoconference Network Open House - The UNT Videoconference Network will be holding their annual Open House on Monday, July 30.
- Take a Peek Inside the Learning Cave! -- A recent issue of Benchmarks Online featured the new Learning Commons and its exciting collaborative technology features found on the second floor of Sage Hall. Students are already taking advantage of its state-of-the-art features and comfort for their study needs. Now a less formal learning area on the first floor of Sage is gaining fans.
- Microsoft IT Academy - All students, faculty and staff of the UNT System -- UNT, UNT Health Science Center, and UNT Dallas -- now have access to online learning via the Microsoft IT Academy.
- Adobe's "Work At Home" License Agreement - Adobe's "Master Collection" and "Design & Web Premium" suites are now available for faculty and staff use at home via a "work at home" license agreement negotiated between UNT and Adobe. Contractually, these licenses are limited to use for official UNT business.
- Summer Hours - Summer marches on. The summer 2012 class schedule consists of six sessions and all have been completed now except for SUM, 10W, and 5W2.
- Today's Cartoon - information age humor.
- By the Numbers - A glimpse behind the scenes of the volumes of data and spam processed, managed and otherwise handled.
- RSS Matters - monthly column by the Research and Statistical Support Group in Academic Computing and User Services. This month Dr. Starkweather tells you all about “Statistical Resources.”
- The Network Connection - This month's column is titled “Life 2.0.”
- Link of the Month - This month’s link is “NT Daily Express."
- Helpdesk FYI - “EUID Passwords." is this month’s topic.
- Training - This column keeps you up-to-date on all sorts of training opportunities. SPSS and SAS courses are offered online only. R is also online only. All employees need to take an Information Security course.
- Staff Activities -New employees, people who are no longer employed by UIT, awards and recognitions and other items of interest featured here. Due to organizational changes with regard the dissolution of CITC into IT Shared Services (ITSS) and University Information Technology (UIT), it has been decided that only staff activities for UIT will continue to be be reported in this column. ITSS staff activities will be handled by ITSS Communications.
- ITC News - Minutes of the Information Technology Council (ITC) are printed here when they are available. The minutes for Tuesday, May 15, 2012 and Tuesday, June 19, 2012 were published this month.