The January 2013 issue of Benchmarks Online is now available. Learn more below or from Claudia Lynch.
Featured articles in Benchmarks Online are:
- Campus Computing News: John Hooper to resume sole appointment at UNT - John Hooper will return full time to the role of UNT CIO and Vice Provost for Information Technology on Feb. 1. Provost Warren Burggren and UNT System CIO Michael DiPaolo praised Hooper recently, noting that he has had a pivotal role in helping shape and lead the formation of UNT’s IT Shared Services initiative.
- eduroam - A New Service for Worldwide Network Access - On Dec. 21, 2012, the UNT System joined leading research institutions by implementing eduroam (education roaming), a worldwide network access service. eduroam allows users (researchers, faculty, students, staff) from participating institutions to securely access the Internet from any eduroam-enabled institution.
- Data Visualization and Poster Design Lectures and Workshops Offered - Jesse Hamner, manager, Research and Visualization Environment (RAVE), is giving a series of lectures and workshops in support of the Toulouse Graduate School and their two poster/research competitions this semester. These events are free for all UNT students, faculty, and staff.
- Computing Resources at UNT - Finding Your Way Around - Welcome, or welcome back, to UNT! If you're new, or if you've just been away for a while, it is our hope that this article will serve as a handy starting point to get you acquainted (or re-acquainted) with the resources that are available to you here at the University.
- Video Archives of the UNT Information Technology 50th Anniversary Celebration Now Available Online - If you had to miss our great 50th Anniversary Celebration of Information Technology at UNT – or if you just want to relive the memory of our fun time - video footage of the event is now posted online as part of the historical web project associated with this milestone.
- 2013 University Forum on Teaching & Learning - Save the Date! Free and open to ALL UNT faculty, staff, graduate teaching fellows and assistants! Lunch is provided.
- Today's Cartoon - information age humor.
- By the Numbers - A glimpse behind the scenes of the volumes of data and spam processed, managed and otherwise handled.
- RSS Matters - monthly column by the Research and Statistical Support Group in Academic Computing and User Services. This month Rich Herrington tells you all about “Using R packages ‘ff’ and ‘filehash’ to Handle Big Data."
- The Network Connection - This month, Philip Baczewski looks tells some “Sad Tales from the Information Wars.”
- Link of the Month - This month’s link is “eduroam - a secure, world-wide roaming access service."
- Helpdesk FYI - This month's article is “eduroam, UNT Wireless Network Changes, and Java Update Concerns."
- Training - This column keeps you up-to-date on all sorts of training opportunities. This month we’re reminding faculty about Blackboard Learn 9.1 Bootcamps. As always, SPSS and SAS courses are offered online only. R is also online only. All employees need to take an Information Security course.
- Staff Activities - New employees, people who are no longer employed by UIT, awards and recognitions and other items of interest featured here.